Friday 3 August 2012

Project 2, Stage 5

Firstly, I did some freehand machine embroidery - lots of fun! I took some inspiration from some of project 1s exercises. Its really hard to go in straight lines so I think the best way is to embrace the sketchy nature of machine embroidery - the circles and the scribbly shading example look the best. I ended with a little test adjusting the tension but couldn't seem to find much difference in the three rows - perhaps something to look at further.


This last sample took me a few days! I started out with light  blue stranded cotton in different directions, I've then branched out to try different colours, silk, perle cotton, cotton blends, wool, sewing thread and chenille. I also introduced different directions in the satin stitch and made sure I had a diamond shape and chevrons. Towards the bottom I did a few small samples of different stitches. I made notes in my sketchbook referencing various aspects.



I always work my samples onto 6x4 inch sized rectangles, its something I decided a few years ago after becoming obsessed with Sharon Bs blog and her never-ending band sampler. I love all the random experiments being tied together with one uniform shape. But I can't help but feel my recent obsession with slate and rain has crept into this sample!


No comments:

Post a Comment